Progressive Muscle Relaxation
Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) is a stepwise technique to relax different muscle groups in your body with the goal of reaching a state of deep relaxation. Learning how to relax and keep tension low in your body can be very effective in managing pain and anxiety. You are invited to follow a guided exercise that takes about 15 minutes that I have recorded for your convenience.
It really works best if you set aside some time for this when you won’t be interrupted. Perhaps you want to put a “Please do not disturb” sign up, or just ask your family or housemates to not interrupt you for 15 minutes. Sit comfortably in a chair (ideally one with armrests) and follow these instructions: Click here. Please do not listen to the recording while driving !
- Alliance Behavioral Healthcare 24-hour crisis and information line: 800-510-9132
- Durham County Crisis line for domestic and sexual violence: 919-403-6562
- Holly Hill Crisis Assessment: 919-250-7000
- National Suicide Hotline: 800-784-2433
- UNC Department of Psychiatry Services (day): 919-966-5217
- Orange and Person Country Mobile Services: 877-967-8844
- Triangle Springs 24/7 Mental or Substance Use Crisis Services: 919-372-4408